Instacart vs DoorDash: are you wondering which one of them is better? Or which delivery services will deliver meals and groceries right at your door safely? Don’t worry! You have come to the right place. In this article, I’ll give you a brief information on Instacart and DoorDash comparison that includes their features, pros and cons, even driver pay, which will help you to choose the best option.
All it takes is a few clicks on your computer or few taps on your Mobile you can get the food delivered right at your door. These food delivery and grocery delivery services offers various benefits, the most prominent one being is the convenience of having your food and groceries delivered right at your door step. This means, you don’t need to go out specially to buy food or groceries when you don’t have time. Nevertheless, these services many also have some cons.
Instacart vs DoorDash: Comparison
Instacart is an on-demand grocery delivery service that became essential for millions of Americans and Canadians during the Covid-19 Pandemic. It partnered with more than 600 local, regional, national retailers on the same day pickup and delivery services from more than 45,000 stores that include grocery and other retail sectors in more than 5,500 cities of North America. Its delivery service is available to more than 70% of Canadian households and 85% of U.S. households.
It has an optional subscription service called Instacart which will enable you for unlimited free deliveries on order over %9.99 per month or $35 for $99 per year, this also reduces the service fees on your orders. If you are a regular user of grocery delivery services, you might find Instacart Express worthy as it reduces the minimum service fee to 1.9% of your grocery total. If you are a new member, Instacart offers free delivery for some period. However, after that period, its delivery fee starts from $3.99, as well as an extra service fee starting at 5% of your grocery total.
Instacart has been accused of withholding tips and paying workers less than minimum wage. So, all the workers set up a union in 2019 and during the Covid-19 pandemic, many workers from the union walked out in protest for no providing enough protective equipment. Later on, Instacart has provided PPE kits which made it easier for the customers to tip.
- Available in several cities of Canada and United States.
- Same day pick up and delivery services.
- Cost-saving Instacart express subscription option.
- Partnered with more than 600 stores.
- Some find it difficult to use.
- Sometimes prices many be high when compared to actual stores.
DoorDash is an on-demand food delivery service that allows you to order food, or drinks from restaurants in your area. As restaurants don’t have delivery drivers; DoorDash partnered with local restaurants to increase their delivery business by delivering food to businesses or homes. By using the mobile application or DoorDash’s website, you can be able to search for local restaurants and browse the menu. Nonetheless, not every restaurant provides the entire menu on DoorDash as they get to choose their online menu. If the restaurant needs, DoorDash provides data analytics to make them understand their business and work more efficiently.
The most important difference between DoorDash and any other food delivering apps is that the order placed via DoorDash are delivered through DoorDash’s freelance delivery workers rather than the restaurant’s own delivery drivers. These DoorDash’s freelance delivery workers are known as “Dashers” who make money through tips, DoorDash base salary, and by completing Challenges. Restaurants are supposed to pay some money to for using their drivers and for receiving order through the application.
- Offers more discounts and promotions.
- Has a better nationwide coverage when compared to Caviar
- Offers gift cards support
- No significant cons
Instacart vs DoorDash: Features
- Allows people to view, select, and purchase products from the store of their choice.
- It employs personal shoppers and deliver the groceries at your door.
- Partnered with various large huge grocery store chains.
- It offers same-day delivery in several cities.
- One of the largest and most widely available service in U.S. and Canada.
- Instacart Express is worthy if you use Instacart for more than 14 times a year.
- It provides access to retailers like pet supply chains, grocery stores, big box stores, pharmacies, office supply retailers, etc.
- It offers two delivery services: Storefront and DoorDash Drive.
- It acts as an intermediator between sellers and buyers.
- It has freelance delivery workers called Dashers.
- It allows the restaurant to set the menu prices but control the service and delivery fees themselves.
- It enables fast ordering and delivery for restaurants across the local area.
- DoorDash Merchant feature allows restaurant to adjust the menu, track sales, average order size, popular menu items, and track metrics like a total sales.
- You can have the ability to track the order as the driver picks it up and deliver it to you.
- You can choose your favorite food from your favorite restaurant.
Instacart vs DoorDash: Driver Pay
Instacart drivers deliver household items, pet supplies, groceries, and even personal products. There are two ways to work for Instacart: in-store shopper and full-service shopper. In-store shopper is a worker who can work for maximum of 29 hours per week. Whereas, Full-service shoppers who shop in-store and deliver to the customers are independent contractors who make their own schedule and work as they want.
It says that drivers can earn up to $25 per hour during the busy times. However, most of the full-service shoppers say that their average earning is $11 per hour with a high of $20 and a low of $7 per hour. As full-service shoppers are independent contractors they are supposed to pay their own expenses which includes vehicle maintenance, vehicle payments, as well as gas.
You are supposed to deliver meals from local eateries, fast food places, and chain restaurants as a “Dasher.” You can be able to create your own schedule and work according to your schedule. However, just remember that you are supposed meet certain requirements such as vehicle flexibility, two years of driving experience, insurance policy of your name and many more to get the Dasher job.
Dasher usually earn $5 per delivery, however, it all depends on the size of the order you get. It also depend upon whether you just have to pick up the order when its ready or have to lace the order in person. There are also other parameters such as the wait time at the restaurant or the distance between the restaurant and the customer drop-off point which will decide the rate for an order.
Instacart vs DoorDash: Bottom line
Instacart and DoorDash both provide deliveries comfortably. The delivery fees may vary slightly, but they’re worth it, as well as they both provide promotions and different ways to save money. As a customer, which delivery service you choose will depend on what you wish to order and what city you live. If you desire to order breakfast or a meal for lunch or dinner, go for DoorDash and if you require pet supplies, pharmacies, or groceries delivered at your door step, then check out Instacart.
Which is better DoorDash or Instacart?
Instacart is an on-demand grocery delivery service that became essential for millions of Americans and Canadians during the Covid-19 Pandemic. Whereas, DoorDash is an on-demand food delivery service that allows you to order food, or drinks from restaurants in your area.
Which delivery app pays the best Instacart or DoorDash?
Full-service shoppers say that their average earning is $11 per hour with a high of $20 and a low of $7 per hour. On the other hand, Dasher usually earn $5 per delivery, however, it all depends on the size of the order you get.
Is Instacart worth the money?
Instacart Express is worthy if you use Instacart for more than 14 times a year.