We may earn small commission from the products mentioned in this post.
Many times, a time may come when you need a piece of writing to be converted into speech. It can be a pdf document, your speech for customers, or anything that sort of.
In these cases, apps like Speechify comes handy. In the following article, we have curated a list of apps like Speechify for iPhone and Androids that you can use. But before that, let’s understand what is Speechify and how does it work.
Speechify is an instrument that you can use to convert reading text into speech and it can also transform any writing into talking. You can upload articles, emails, and other documents. Over 2 million users have tried the app and rated the app 4.5 stars.
You can get started with it by simply uploading documents, images from the internet, writing from websites, and such on the page. Then the second step is to run the website, where it will read the text out loud. It’ll highlight the words which it reads which shows users what is being read currently.
Speechify is a paid app and has all the features required. The monthly plan costs $7.99 and these prices differ accordingly.
Additionally, they ask you to pay annually and not monthly to save your funds. But, you can opt for a free trial that will stay with you for 7 days. After that, you’ll have to upgrade the plan to continue receiving the services.
Voice Dream Reader works with a goal, which is to develop software that is accessible to all devices. If you are investing your time and efforts in Voice Dream Reader, the application guarantees you the outcome will be worth it.
In 2011, the founder Winston got the idea for such software and the movement took place after February 2012 after its establishment. Forbes, Mashable, Scientific American, Information Week, eSchool News, and LifeHacker are a few of the media that have covered Voice Dream Reader.
- It has a Reader that can read 30 languages. You have the option to choose from 200 different voices. You do not need an Internet or Wi-Fi connection to access voices and languages as they are offline.
- It has a Scanner that uses AI-based technology. It specializes in catching what’s written even in poor lighting. So, the speed is swift, and it doesn’t store your data anywhere.
- It has a Writer. The usage will help you proofread the content easily. You will be able to understand where you are making mistakes and what you are lacking.
Price: USD 9.99 (for the app store in the USA)
If you do not have time to stay updated but a lot is going on in the world, install Speech Central. With this software, you can listen to all the headlines and content written on the pages. So, just wear a headphone and connect the headset with the device through Bluetooth or wires and get updated!
Speech Central can be useful if you want to change your written piece into listening content. With headlines, the software also allows you to hear what the related content has to say. The software is a work of Labsii.
- It supports a variety of Documents in different formats. Whether it is a pdf document or an eBook, Speech Central can read it all.
- Speech Central has some special tools built inside, such as text annotations and more.
- Voice Over is affiliated with Speech Central for important reasons. It helps Speech Central to make sure the user is not blind.
- They install a special Accessible Online Library called Bookshare into the system.
- Enhanced accessibility with the help of keyboard shortcuts.
- Any languages from 27 in total, can be used to convert texts if they are valid on iOS devices.
Price: USD 4.99. With this in-app purchase, you can take advantage of extra features.
Do you want to convert text and documents into mp3? Visit Natural Reader, which has a good variety of voices that sound 100% natural.
Natural Reader is highlighted for students, working professionals, dyslexic readers, and learners of foreign learners and can work perfectly for commercial uses. Other uses like – public use, IVR systems, and broadcasting can be counted too.
- Natural Reader provides voices that sound 101% natural. So, the reading will be clear and the reader will be able to hear what is in the text accurately.
- It can read the text from scanned pages. Whether it is an image or a document, Natural Reader will read it accurately.
- You can use it even when the text has bad lighting.
- Natural Reader gives you access to hear what you converted in the past. You can convert the same file again in MP3 in case you do not have it.
Price: it is free. But, there are a few paid plans as follows:
- $99.50 for Personal Use.
- $129.50 for Professional use.
- $199.50 for Ultimate use.
Pay for once and enjoy the services for a lifetime.
Voice Aloud Reader
If you are using an Android device and need a tool that can transfer your text into voice, download Voice Aloud Reader! It is one of the best apps like Speechify and it is helpful for Android mobiles and tablets. It can convert the text on web pages, images, TXT, DOX, DOCX, PDF, etc that you display on your smartphone.
To use it, you are required to download the voices on your cell phone. Also, you are supposed to install a Text-to-speech engine on your device because, without it, the app won’t work.
- It allows you to convert text into mp3 format.
- The app supports a good number of formats such as PDF, Image, RTF, etc.
- It does not store any data present on the doc or file that needs to be converted.
- It works swiftly with zero bugs irritating the users.
- It can also use a voice cloud service brought to you by Microsoft, Amazon Polly, Google Wavenet, and IBM Watson.
Price: Premium OCR – $1.99/month. Pro Version – $8.99/month. Pro and Premium Voices – $9.99/month.
Are you a Linux and Windows user? If yes, then eSpeak is for you. The software is a converter for speeches in English and other languages. The software takes care of the bad quality and irrespective of that, gives you a positive result most of the time.
The application is available at the following:
- A version of a shared library that can be used by other programs.
- It is now available on new platforms like Mac OSX, Solaris, and Android.
- The Application has a Line program added which will help it recite the text from a document.
- Has more than just a few voices to speak for you.
- Option to provide the results in WAV file format.
- The in-app feature compresses the size of the text.
- Ability to translate the text into a phoneme code.
- It has a set of development tools that are used for production for Tuning phoneme data purposes.
Speechify is a professional app with systematic work. But, since it is a paid app, many users are not yet ready to invest and thus they are searching for Speechify alternatives.
So, we have curated a list of apps like Speechify that are free and have subscription plans as well. And all the above-mentioned applications can be well-suited if you found Speechify as your ideal text-to-voice converter.
Is Speechify free?
Speechify is not free, and it costs you about USD 7.99/month. The catch? The subscription per month may look just fine but they will ask you to pay annually as there are no monthly plans.
Does Speechify have a free mode?
Yes. Speechify has a free mode. But, certain limits come along with it. You have access to only 200 words and a few voices. Also, the free plan only lasts for seven days.
Can you trust Speechify?
Yes. All the information and data provided by the customers is secured. It uses SSL technology to secure and encrypt all transactions. And the payment data is not saved with servers of speechify but with the payment processor responsible.
Are there apps like Speechify?
Yes. Read Aloud is an open-source and free app. It can be the best alternative for Speechify. A list of apps like speechify continues with Text Aloud, Natural Reader, Voice Aloud Reader, and eSpeak.
Which are the apps like Speechify for Android + iPhone?
Speaking Email, Text Aloud, Natural Reader, Icanread, Read Aloud are the best alternatives for Speechify. They can be used on both iPhones and Android cell phones.