We may earn small commission from the products mentioned in this post.
OnStar Guardian App Review: OnStar Guardian is a valuable safety tool that can help you stay safe in the event of a stolen vehicle, crash, or roadside emergency.
People are wondering whether the OnStar Guardian is a useful app and whether a subscription is really required to use the app.
If you are also looking for answers to the same, look no further. In this article, we’ll give you a detailed OnStar Guardian app review that may solve all your queries.
What is OnStar Guardian App?
OnStar Guardian is a safety app that gives you and your family safety services wherever you go, any car, motorcycle, or even in your home.
It lets you invite up to seven members to the ‘My Family’ group and everyone in that group can access the safety services within the app.
How Does OnStar Guardian App Work?
To get started with the OnStar Guardian app, you’ll need to download the app and set up an account. You can easily sign up for an account using an email address and you are also required to verify your phone number.
After you are done creating an account, grant the app access to your data, including motion & fitness, microphone, and location, and give permission to notifications.
Once it’ll know that you are on the go, it’ll monitor the motion of your phone for stops or high-impact crashes. And enabling your location services lets OnStar find your phone’s location and contact the first responder even if you can’t.
And one of the helpful features is the app-based crash detection feature that detects collisions and alerts OnStar HQ.
Then, someone from their team will contact you, but if you don’t respond, OnStar may instead contact and send first responders the information. Further, you also have the option of reporting an accident that you are not directly involved in.
- Roadside Assistance: You can get help on the road with a flat tire, jump a dead battery and even get fuel delivered or request a tow.
- Emergency Services: Its Red emergency button provides priority access to an OnStar Emergency Advisor every day.
- Mobile Crash Response: Its smartphone sensors detect a car accident and send an alert for help automatically.
- Location Status: Family locator lets you share and save real-time locations along with departure and arrival notifications.
- Stolen Vehicle Assistance: Ability to track your stolen vehicle and send a signal to disable the engine.
OnStar Guardian offers various plans – Preferred, Essentials, Premium, and Preferred Plus Wi-Fi, which costs $29.99, $39.99, $49.99, and $49.99 a month respectively.
All these plans offer features like an automatic crash response, emergency services, stolen vehicle assistance, roadside assistance, remote vehicle access, in-vehicle apps, unlimited in-vehicle data, and many more.
Before subscribing to any plan, you can try its 30-day free trial where you can access features like assistance in a crash, directions to the store, the ability to control your car with your vehicle mobile app, and more.
- Easy to use and can be accessed from anywhere.
- Provides live tracking information of your family members.
- Offers a 30-day free trial to let you decide.
- Users have complained that the app freezes frequently.
- Sometimes, users don’t get location alerts even after enabling the location services.
- It constantly runs in the background or always accesses your information.
- At times, real or live tracking information is inaccurate.
Is the OnStar Guardian App Worth It?
Users have mentioned that OnStar Guardians is a great app that lets them track their family members. However, recently, it started showing issues, such as not showing the live tracking feature.
Even if it is showing the live tracking feature, users have to close the app and go back in to see where their family members moved to.
And one of the users complained that when they were trying to track their family members, the app was giving inaccurate location information. Location accuracy is based on various factors, including device permissions, smartphone’s sensors, and cellular connection.
We hope this article has given you a detailed OnStar Guardian app review that has mentioned everything you wanted to know about it.
What does the OnStar Guardian app do?
OnStar Guardian is a safety app helps you stay safe in the event of a crash, stolen vehicle, and more.
Is the OnStar app free?
Though it is free to download, you’ll need to subscribe to a paid plan to access its features.
Is OnStar a GPS?
OnStar uses GPS technology to route you to your destination.