In this article, I’ll show you how to uninstall Anaconda from Windows and Mac. Basically, to uninstall anaconda from your device, you can do a simple remove of the program. However, this will leave a few files in your computer. So, check out the guide below to completely remove Anaconda from your device.
Anaconda is an open-source distribution for R and Python programming languages having installation and package management tools.it is pretty popular with data scientists and data-driven companies because it simplifies data analysis and provides different environments for libraries, versions, etc.
How to Uninstall Anaconda [Complete Guide]
If you simply remove Anaconda from the control panel, this will leave some files. So, follow the steps mentioned below on how to uninstall Anaconda from Windows, Before that make sure that you are connected to Wi-Fi or any other internet connection.
- Step 1: Use this command: >conda info –envs to check the Anaconda environment command prompt, and make sure you run this as admin.
- Copy all the commands and execute it in cmd.exe
- In this way you’ll get to know the environment of Anaconda.
- Step 2: Click and activate your environment by using the following command.
- Command: conda activate <environment_name withfull path>
- Step 3: Now, download the anaconda-clean program with the below command.
- Command: conda install -c anaconda anaconda clean
- Step 4: Use the command: anaconda-clean or anaconda-clean –yes
- As soon as you enter this command, it will create a backup file but don’t worry, you can delete it later.
- Step 5: If you still some files, you can just simply delete it from control panel.
Click on start button -> control panel -> uninstall a program -> look out for Anaconda -> right click and click on Uninstall -> next -> finish.
If you still see any files or shortcuts, remember that they don’t work, and you can delete them by click on delete button.
For Mac users:
If you are a Mac user, follow the steps below on how to uninstall Anaconda from Mac.
- Open the terminal and type the following command: conda install anaconda-clean
- Enter command: anaconda-clean –yes and press enter, this will create a backup directory
- Use the command: rm -rf ~/anaconda3
The process I mentioned above is the best of uninstalling Anaconda from your device, but there is a technical glitch to it. As if you go to applications, you can still find Anaconda and when you open it, it’ll be still working. The reason for this glitch is that Anaconda is installed at one of the three default locations so, you are supposed to know at what location anaconda is installed.
To check the location: go to finder and type anaconda3 or anaconda2, or opt, if you still don’t find it, open the opt files, you’ll get to see the anaconda3 file.
- So, go back to the terminal and enter the command: rm -rf/opt/anaconda3
- If it says permission denied, use the command: sudo -rf /opt/anaconda3
- To complete the uninstalling process, enter your password.
If you still see any shortcuts “command+delete” now, when you go back to the finder, you’ll see that anaconda is completely uninstalled.
Frequently Asked Questions:
How do I uninstall anaconda on Mac?
Open the terminal and type the following command: conda install anaconda-clean -> command: anaconda-clean –yes -> command: rm -rf ~/anaconda3 -> command: rm -rf/opt/anaconda3 -> sudo -rf /opt/anaconda3
How do I reset my anaconda?
Start -> open Anaconda -> Enter Spyder-> reset Spyder settings -> close and relaunch Spyder from anaconda.
Why my Anaconda is not working?
If you are not able to launch it from desktop app, or from terminal or use an Anaconda prompt with anaconda-navigator.