In this article, we will show you quick and simple steps on how to cancel Planet Fitness Membership. You can simply fill out a cancellation form at your home or office or can send a certified letter via mail to your Planet Fitness gym.
Like any professional gyms, Planet Fitness does not make cancelling your membership easy. However, it is possible to do it as long as you have some patience and are enthusiastic to leap through a few contractual hoops.
How to cancel Planet Fitness membership
To cancel Planet Fitness membership you can follow the methods and steps mentioned below on how to cancel Planet Fitness membership
Method 1: Understand your Planet Fitness Contract
It would be better to understand your contract, so that you can now how to cancel planet fitness membership.
1. Find the contract you signed with Planet Fitness: Even though you may have signed up with a “sign-up fee” or “no contract” you still signed a contract that authorizes how you can cancel and what kind of circumstances will allow you to waive your cancellation fees.
2. Read your contact: Your contract lay out the exact terms and conditions, and you should be informed. You should also note down if you have a monthly or annual contract. Regardless of whether you pay annually or monthly, you might have likely signed a one-year contract. Also check when your contact is up because it might be easier to wait if an only couple of months are left until your contract ends. Cancellation fees can be nearly 5 or 6 months of standard payments.
3. Pay attention to the billing cycle: Generally, for a monthly contract, you have to cancel earlier than the 10th of the month, as you are usually billed on the 17th and the company requires some time to progress your request.
For an annual contract, you have to cancel prior to the 25th of the month. In other words, if you usually pay your annual bill in March, you need to cancel on or before February 25th. Basically, fitness contract like a leasing contract, having to provide 30 days notice and fees for before time cancellations are common with gyms. Actually, if you don’t cancel your membership properly, you possibly have to pay your agreement out in full amount.
4. Get your gym fees waived: If you can give written proof that you are injured or that you must move out of range of a Planet Fitness, then you might be capable to have the fees waived.
- If you have an injury, ask your doctor to write a note confirming that you will be unable to use the gym facilities.
- If you are moving to a new place, your house must be farther than 25 miles (40 km) away from any Planet Fitness location, Planet Fitness aims to transfer memberships whenever possible. Write a relocation letter, and make sure to outline the distance before stating where you will be moving.
- That is, create that you have no Planet Fitness gyms within 25 miles of your new address. You can print off map with your new location and the closet Planet Fitness locations marked to help your case.
- If none of these circumstances applies to you, you will be required to pay the cancellation fee, though you can plead your case if further situations hinder your ability to go to the gym. Be certain to have written testimony of your condition, as they will not just accept your word for it.
Method 2: Cancelling the Contract in Person
- Note down the information you’ll need: You’ll require your membership identification number. Also, you’ll likely need some personal information, such as your address, your social security number, your driver license number, and your date of birth.
Write a one-page document requesting to cancel your membership: Make sure it is within the contract’s conditions. State in your letter that you want your cancellation fee waived if you’re suitable, along with the reason why. Also note what documentation you have included with the letter. Include all your personal information. You only need to include the last four digits of your social security number, and your driver license number and sign it.
- Planet Fitness needs a written cancellation which comprises your back-up documents to request your cancellation fee be waived.
- Clearly specify what each piece of documentation is at the top of the page.
- Check the hours of your location’s membership department: Call the department; request a meeting to cancel your membership.
- Tell them you would like to cancel your membership: Meet up with an agent, and give them the written documentation.
- Ask for the cancellation in writing: Don’t forget to request a signature from an employee so that you can have proof that you cancelled your membership, as you may need it later.
- Arrange to cancel any future monthly payments: You may have to pay another month, but confirm that payment is cancelled after that. Clear up any cancellation fees so you can be certain that your membership is cancelled.
- Ask for the name and number of the appropriate contact person: If you run into trouble after cancelling; let’s say you find that you are being charged improper fees; you may need to contact that particular person to address the issue.
- Monitor your credit card or bank statements: If monthly or annual charges show up that shouldn’t be there, you need to contact the gym.
- Call membership services: If any additional charges were taken out, act instantly to avoid losing money.
- Visit in person: If the gym is still insisting you pay, show them the cancellation in writing to prove that you have done so.
Methods 3: Cancelling by Certified Letter
Send a certified letter: Certified letters can be tracked; you can ensure that the gym received the letter. To send a certified letter, buy the postage certified mail at the post office or online. Certified mail is only to priority or first-class mail.
- Choose electronic or physical delivery of the signature. Basically, you are showing that someone at Planet Fitness acknowledged and signed for the letter.
- Either you’ll be emailed a copy of their e-signature or you’ll get an actual signature if you want a physical signature. I think that physical signature may be better for this because it looks more official.
- Gather your letter together: don’t forget to include a letter requesting the cancellation of membership, all of your documentation, your personal information, and your justification for waiving your fees, if needed. Request that they send a notice of cancellation in writing, in addition to that ask them to provide a follow-up phone call to you to validate your membership is cancelled.
- Take the letter to the post office: certified mail has to be given to an employee to receive a return signature.
- Call the gym if you didn’t receive a notice for your membership cancellation: If you don’t receive notification that your membership was cancelled within a week and a half, call and talk to an employee. If you cannot get it cancelled through a letter, you may need to visit in person.
- Check your bank account: Make sure you do not have any monthly or annual charges beyond what you’ve agreed to pay. If you have, you are supposed to visit Planet Fitness and show them the proof of cancellation.
Conclusion: I hope this article, on how to cancel your Planet Fitness membership helped you to solve your problem.
How do I cancel a one-year contract that I signed if it has been longer than that?
If you have a one-year contract and more than one year has passed, then your contract is no longer valid or in effect. You can select out of their services as you are no longer bound to them.
Is there a fee to cancel Planet Fitness?
The cancellation fee depends on the memberships you have. If you have an annual commitment and haven’t finished it then you will have to pay 58 dollars. However, it can be waived off if you have any valid reason.
How do I cancel my Planet Fitness membership?
You can simply fill out a cancellation form at your home or office or can send a certified letter via mail to your Planet Fitness gym. But, like any professional gyms, Planet Fitness does not make cancelling your membership easy.
Can you freeze your Planet Fitness membership?
Under the membership agreement, you can freeze your Planet Fitness membership for verified medical reasons like injury, or illness, or any other medical condition.
Can you cancel Planet Fitness before annual fee?
For an annual contract, you have to cancel prior to the 25th of the month. In other words, if you usually pay your annual bill in March, you need to cancel on or before February 25th. Basically, fitness contract like a leasing contract, having to provide 30 days notice and fees for before time cancellations are common with gyms.